This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cosmetics: skin tones/colors

The only issue that I’m having is how there isn’t a variety of skin tones or colors. I think it’d be great to have that in basic character cosmetics, like the faces.

Hey I like that. #noracism
    Soyyy | ID: 2012183903
    F2P 803k lancer

YT: SoyyyUL
    Love my guildies!!! <3

Comment

Ateam's not going to ever do different skin colours, it would be too hard to implement since the skin is part of the image files for body gear. Those would have to manually be recoloured, drastically increasing the game size, but also taking a lot of manpower that could be used elsewhere (like fixing duel rooms lol)

EDIT: Here's a link to the rejected ideas page, read the skin tone section: https://forum.a-tm.co.jp/forum/uniso...s-updated-3-30
      Last edited by Night-Hawk; 06-26-2018, 11:56 PM. Reason: Added a link to the rejected ideas page
      In Game Name: 『 Night ♪ 』 | ID: 2028809196 Level 200 | 940k Lancer (407k Atk)
      Alt In Game Name: §nu ♦ Night | ID: 2146066960 Level 200 | 701k Mage (291k Matk)
      Alt In Game Name: §nu ♦ Midnight | ID: 2122785494 Lv200 | 634k Archer (187k Atk/Matk)

Comment

• roychan
        roychan commented
        Editing a comment
        I have no experience with game developing whatsoever, but can't they add skin tones as like an &quot;overlay&quot; and essentially count it as a new type of gear (like all the other gear types).

• Night-Hawk
        Night-Hawk commented
        Editing a comment
        roychan An overlay won't work since different gear pieces reveal different amounts of skin. One overlay will not fit all and because of how many different overlays would be needed, recolours would be more practical at that point.

• roychan
        roychan commented
        Editing a comment
        Well there are only a limited amount of ways the skin is shown, but yea I get what you mean.

While there's a lot that could theoretically be done with Unison League, the potential will not be fulfilled because it would have an up-front cost and, based on my knowledge of these types of software companies, the higher-ups will not authorize anything that isn't likely to be a sure profit by the end of the quarter (earlier this year, an employee posted that they make decisions based on profits for the *month*--it doesn't matter if something will make 999999x more profit 4 months down the line, if it isn't profitable right this instant). And frankly, they don't know what the hell they're doing; I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased the game/engine from an outside source and/or none of the original in-house devs are still employed there. Trying to make any real changes without serious help could result in a bigger mess than the app already is now. Given all that, it's completely reasonable for their team to let things be (and avoid touching anything that might break). In fact, it's unreasonable to expect anything else.

But I was chatting with a friend the other day about this, and I wondered what people of color (I don't count as "people") think of Ateam hypothetically making money by selling skin colors that can be used with, say, 5 outfits they made just for this purpose. Would you be open to using it, even if it meant you couldn't wear your current favorite cosmetics (and wouldn't be allowed to visibly wear >99% of the gear that comes out in the future)? Just personal curiosity.

It seems to me the choices are:

1) One store in town, and it caters only to light-skinned customers. For people with darker skin to buy anything, they have to pretend to be light-skinned to enter the store, and choose from the selection made for, and by, light-skinned people, which includes only products made for, and by, light-skinned people.

2) Two stores in town, one catering only to light-skinned customers, the other catering to dark-skinned customers. The first store, as described in #1, sells a huge variety of products that fit the needs and desires of light-skinned people, and they charge normal prices. The second store is out of the way, sells only 5 outfits, and charges money (gems) just to be allowed to come inside (buy the skin tone), but doesn't force people to pretend to be light-skinned when they aren't.

The theoretical option that is completely impossible under these circumstances would be:

3) One store, that sells a huge variety of clothing to everyone at normal prices, including products that are in demand more for lighter-skinned customers *and* products that are in demand more for darker-skinned customers, and allows people of all colors to shop and enter freely without discrimination.

I find both #1 and #2 unfair and insulting, personally, but considering that #1 describes the state of UL since it was released (in Japan, where they expected everyone to want a light skin color), and #3 is out of the question, is #2 an improvement? Would it be profitable enough for the capitalist to build, stock, and staff the second store? Maybe it would it have zero customers. Again, I'm just wondering...but maybe someone at Ateam is wondering, too?

Comment

Everyone keeps focusing on how changing what's already available is too hard so no one wants to think of other solutions to work around that. The easiest is to just introduce new cosmetics that have darker skin tones, and also outfits here and there. Wow amazing.

User ID: 2124694630

Comment

• Vegecat
          Vegecat commented
          Editing a comment
          So of my options, you'd vote for #2?

• Raizel
          Raizel commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know of any games that let you change skin colors for just your head or just your body. I'm curious if Ateam could get in trouble for racist complaints if they implemented a few new darker skin colors so peeps could have black head by white body

I'm all for multiple skin colors, but I'm also on the side that says it will never happen

• Vegecat
          Vegecat commented
          Editing a comment
          So you're also suggesting they lock the skin tones with their own outfits?

This idea has already been brought up and rejected multiple times, each outfit will have to be manually recolored, and it will drastically drive up the file size.

See
        https://forum.a-tm.co.jp/forum/uniso...ond-skin-color

https://forum.a-tm.co.jp/forum/uniso...s-updated-3-30
        Akuma: 2070475888 || 250k+ Executioner
        Proud member of Free Finesse!

Comment

Inb4 thread getting locked by mods.
          Praying to RNGesus... || I gave up on colo!
          Clippygoat || lvl 185 || Mage || 800k gs || F2P || 2091798093

Comment

• Faust
            Faust commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that the suggestion to (create & permanently) feature select gear pieces that do have skin tones in the cosmetic shop is reasonable.

My complaint would be that my character looks too much like myself while I'd prefer a green goblin or pasty night elf, etc.

• Vegecat
            Vegecat commented
            Editing a comment
            It was brought up before, too, but people just kinda ignored it and the thread got locked anyway. It's almost as if people don't want to hear anything except Everyone Is White And That's How It Should Be, and don't want to say anything except Re-doing All Those Outfits Would Be Too Expensive.

Bright blue night elf (I can live with teal or purple if need be) or completely black cat (red or white spots on the fur are acceptable, too) for me! But if I could get a full body Teemo suit or something, I wouldn't see my character underneath it anyway, so, yeah, Rito and Ateam plz

ETA: Almost forgot that black cat suits exist already. More kitties please; I could use some variety. If I can't turn into an actual cat, I can at least hide inside a kitty disguise! ...cats should get runspeed bonuses, it's not right when they're as slow as the bipeds /grumble
            Last edited by Vegecat; 06-27-2018, 03:27 PM. Reason: ETA I want black & calico cats

• ediblegoat
            ediblegoat commented
            Editing a comment
            Faust hell yeah i wanna be an orc in UL

Vegecat its so unfair taiwan and south korea UL get the good ol black and calico catto -,-
            Last edited by ediblegoat; 06-27-2018, 08:15 PM.

Logically speaking. There is no problem with making new gear, with other skin tones. Look at the oratio twins for example.

The only problem i could see. Would have to be a moral one. Are "ya", as a dark skinned person. Comfortable with seeing people walk around, in a fashion that can only be described as "blackface"? Especially on the internet. Hate to break it to people. Buuuut. A lot of UL players are massive douchebags. Ya can bet ya behind, they are gonna use such cosmetics to mess with other players. I just don't think ateam wants those kinda problems on their hand.

Comment

• Vegecat
            Vegecat commented
            Editing a comment
            Couldn't they already do that to some extent? I don't see a bunch of pale-bodied Tione/Tiona faces running around in the lobbies.

But yes, in the stickied thread, they mentioned not wanting to allow blackface, which is a good point (not that I think eg White people coloring their arms while pretending to be a PoC makes it any better... /shudder at that how far some people went with even a supposedly-no-racist-intent-it's-just-for-fun Halloween costume). That's why I supposed the most likely option to actually make it is to lock darker skin tones with a few outfits made just for them.

• Keiryu
            Keiryu commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't disagree, that is an option

However that would bring another moral problem. Namely categorizing people by their race. Or to put it in simple terms. &quot;ya not white/black, so ya can't wear this outfit.&quot; to go back a bit. Ya can't use the twins clothes, unless ya using their face as well. So even if ya like the amazon look on them. Ya can't combine it with the miku face for example.

Ya can make a bunch of new outfits, and even changes to the system. Heck. Ya could even up the file size, and make skin choice available. However. In the end. People will find a way to be offended, and to offend. Maybe cause ya limiting them to use only certain gear, while they might want to use their own favorite. I dunno. I just doubt ateam wants to deal with it.

Vegecat

• Vegecat
            Vegecat commented
            Editing a comment
            Which is why I asked any PoC who might care to share their opinion. See post #4 in this thread.
        Working...
        X