This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster Viability List

In an attempt to inform others about the importance of monster skills and keep track of the ever growing number of viable monsters in UL, I spent a little bit of time working on a viability chart for monsters. So far it features a tier list for both utility and GvG monsters, as well as a brief explanation of how the more popular monsters work and why they are so good. There's also a cost efficiency list for UR monsters as stat sticks to maybe help you plan your build a little better. My hope is that people will be able to look at this list and better evaluate what they're looking for in a Unison instead of throwing out some useless monster just because it looks cool or does damage.

I've taken a good amount of community feedback for the different rankings, and I'm pretty content with my rankings, but keep in mind that the list is still mostly my opinion. I'm open to any suggested changes.

Link to the list!
    Note: use the sheet tabs at the bottom of the page to navigate the lists.
    Last edited by Desperer; 04-19-2016, 05:56 PM.
    Des | 2132847289

Super helpful stuff, thanks Desperer! Have a sticky

Signature image courtesy ekichou.

Comment

• Desperer
      Desperer commented
      Editing a comment
      Why thank you!
      Last edited by Desperer; 04-19-2016, 05:56 PM.

Should bump up Avsaris and Marduk for Balancing + attack.

I made a list like this somewhere in the past, actually, but it's not up to date.

http://forum.a-tm.co.jp/forum/unison...-monsters-list

This list was created before unison battles with gear score calculations were a thing, so any unison that attacked in GvG was useful as hell.
    Last edited by Nemurerumori; 12-02-2015, 11:05 AM.
    Nemurerumori / Sword / Fujin
    Guild: COLOSSUS
    Game ID: 2017106838
    ----- ID: Slypheed
    Password: 123456

Comment

Hm I feel like Nezha should be dropped down to less useful and fire valkyrie bumped to most useful, but other than that, this is a great list. My reasoning for this is basically because fire is usually not occupied other than for KFC (kagu) and essentially should put fire valkyrie be on the same tier as wind valkyrie (1 stack of wtb is pretty worthless) Especially for guild raids and such, wind valk being green is completely outclassed by shinatobe whereas fire valkyrie is a solid pick for the fire colour.

Also consider dropping some of the less usefuls into the outclassed category (like tengu, dynamis knight and lorelai) and put unicorn in the outclassed section as well.
      Last edited by Omega; 12-02-2015, 02:46 PM.
      Too casual for signatures...

Comment

• Desperer
        Desperer commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm getting really mixed feedback on Nezha. I personally don't feel like he's that great either, but many people have told me that he definitely deserves to be S rank.

Also, the list was rearranged a bit a little while ago and fire valk was put on the same level as wind valk, but thanks for the input! I haven't been taking color into much account because utility monsters are often worth running even if they're not useful to your class, but I guess I should start doing so.

• Omega
        Omega commented
        Editing a comment
        Desperer All good, keep up the great work ^^

• Link
        Link commented
        Editing a comment
        Desperer Yeah, he's pretty useful. Great damage output and OP Barrier for everyone. In my opinion, he's most useful Light Monster right now. Having one or two of him in Colosseum, is almost a guaranteed Win (if you Unison first or survive and get a 80% Barrier).

Aizen was pretty useful this time, too, because Dark is boosted and he can null 2x Alice (or other monsters) from the opponents.

Oh, and 1-2 Jacks had a great impact during this Colosseum as well. Won Unison often ... but then the opponents had Jack in their Unison and we lost hard. Confusion almost like 8x WTB. ~.~

In my idea //whistles

You maybe could bump up Carbuncle, as his barrier lasts longer than Amaterasu's or Nezha's

Avsaris and Marduk do deserve a bump up, as they can replace carrying balancing on a skill slot, which to me is godly.

I think Fiine is fine, addressing your concern.

For the [Just an add in that Ryan Flowers looks adorable] PvP referencing:

If I see you use either ChuChu or Wind Valkyrie in the arena, I will laugh at your or smack you depending on if you are on the opposing or allied side. Chuchu doesn't provide enough GS to justify his use, or a useful enough buff. I'm not a very strong person, and if I can outdo your regen, you have a bit of an issue.

Siren, Shina, and Lilithshould be included on the Utility list as well, as they are not only for stat filler, and are quite useful, especially in Collo. FrickingFujin keeps leaping at my screen and trying to kill it ewe

I also recommend removing Argo from the "Does damage" list.

Nearly forgot to say, Naisu list <!>
      Sleeper.

Comment

• Mosaic
        Mosaic commented
        Editing a comment
        Really? Huh I never really stalked the wiki hue.

Sounds good :3

Question is will you keep this list updated <!>

• Desperer
        Desperer commented
        Editing a comment
        I intend to!

We don't get new monsters very often anyways.

• Mosaic
        Mosaic commented
        Editing a comment
        We get a unicorn soon :3

Personally I do not value Emilia that highly, I would treat her as a worse Lilith infact. As Emilia doesn't lower debuff resistance which while niche can be clutch in certain fights in conjunction with jinx. In addition, her 2 buff is a bit awk in a land of valks but is situational better in case of cuchu/valk/emilia or no one else has buff/debuffs

A lot of things depend on situation, so I would add a list by effects/purpose as well. I.e. purification/cleanse/buffs/debuffs/survival
      UL ID: 2015109875

Comment

I understand Fiine going a rank down, but not Aizen. I think he should go back up.

Also, nice list~

Comment

• Oakbing
          Oakbing commented
          Editing a comment
          noooo my Finne :< ....

I just realized that this list copies the style from the Brave Frontier tier list when I saw the comment on the right. How did I not see this before...

Comment

• Desperer
          Desperer commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep! I used to play BF and really liked the style of that list.

• Mokou
          Mokou commented
          Editing a comment
          Desperer Haha I still play that game. Been really gearing towards this one though.

Both Amaterasu or Nezha, should be situational. For example, half way through the quest. Your party pops some valks and wards, using a Nezha and Ama there is completely usesless (highly not recommended) . Because those effects from Nezha and Amaterasu last a briefly moment. Best time to use these are for damage and a defense buff against bosses and gvg.

Comment

• Desperer
          Desperer commented
          Editing a comment
          Defensive buffs are pretty critical for clearing difficult content, and I'm not convinced that hard content should be considered situational. While it's true that defensive buffs are not useful at certain times during every quest, that's true for most monsters (you wouldn't debuff trash mobs or heal when you're at full health for example). The fact that you can effectively use them at least once on /any/ quest is what I'm looking at as far as versatility goes.
          Last edited by Desperer; 12-15-2015, 07:05 PM.

i definitely like amaterasu a lot more than nezha in many situations(especially if status continue to become a bigger part of quest)

Comment

• Desperer
          Desperer commented
          Editing a comment
          Why is that? Nezha's damage reduction is strictly higher than Amaterasu's, the only downside is that it doesn't reflect (which is a pretty mediocre amount of damage).

• kin
          kin commented
          Editing a comment
          That is true, but amaterasu also removes status effects.

• Desperer
          Desperer commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I still think Nezha deserves to be placed higher than Amaterasu, because he's by far the best at what he does. The status removal is nice, but there are so many other monsters that can already do that and are commonly used, so I would rather have someone use Nezha than Amaterasu and then another party member can do the status clearing if necessary (or just leave it to the cleric).

Wait what...Alice is C tier? Dammit I spent so many gems farming her

Comment

• Desperer
          Desperer commented
          Editing a comment
          She's not a bad stat stick, and is actually the one of the best in GvG due to her high damage! I personally use at least 4 of her at all times as an archer. She doesn't do anything very useful in PvE though, which is what the list is all about.

• Hayauchi
          Hayauchi commented
          Editing a comment
          Alice sucks bad on runs. But essential for GvG on Archers. 6 Alice = Crystal Bye Bye

Quick question...
        Why is Kagu better than Aizen?
        I have both and Aizen seems better cos he nullifies 2 attacks+ 0 damage taken as while ward just lets you take one massive hit.
        Just kinda confused...i know its pretty situational but what should i use usually?

Comment

godfear

Well, Aizen is used up just from getting hit by any little attack. Ward stays up until it gets used, so you can use it at the beginning of a run and then use other monsters for the rest of the run unless someone "dies" and if needs to be reapplied. Usually deaths are from unexpected attacks and you don't always have the foresight to pop an Aizen.
          Last edited by Desperer; 01-02-2016, 06:08 AM.
          Des | 2132847289

Comment

Why is soultaker ranked so poorly? High cost?
            Fiine/cos Chu are obviously better, but they cost a huge pile of gems (and thus USD).
            How are golem/grandosaur better for "utility tier list"? lol If cost is an issue, goblin is better than any of these. I think goblin deserves a mention because 1) it's so easy to get for a beginner 2) low cost and thus easy to use 3) haste

I'm not a huge fan of soultaker, but I don't have better neutral monsters to haste with.

Comment

• 4tran
              4tran commented
              Editing a comment
              Except I'm mage, and never really decided whether I should go soultaker or goblin.

Fiine is obviously strong, but I guess I underestimated golem/grandosaur.

• Desperer
              Desperer commented
              Editing a comment
              If you're a mage you definitely shouldn't be using soultaker, as it takes a ton of your cost while providing no utility and poor stats for your class. Use a goblin and then supplement it with a dark/light/water kesapasa if you have to.

• 4tran
              4tran commented
              Editing a comment
              lol @ passa; everybody hates passa (esp for guild unisons).

I'm currently planning to replace purple Nereusa with Amaterasu (I guess I underestimated her). For the longest time I kept wondering why Nereusa didn't work sometimes... but apparently she doesn't protect against phys (what ur guide says) - useless.

Thanks for your guide btw.

Awesome spreadsheet, thanks for putting in the effort to help everyone!
            "All of our unhappiness comes from our inability to be alone." Jean de la Bruyere

Comment

Working...
            X