Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldier 101

1-5
    Did some quick edits and updates due to levelcap and (stealth)buffs/nerfs. anything updated will be bright red like this

Normal formula=.39*Attack/M.attack*(ap/100)-.19*EnemyDefense
    Divine Smash/Dual Sword formula=(
    .̶1̶6̶*Attack+.̶2̶3̶*YourDefense)*(ap/100)-.19*EnemyDefense THE VALUES HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO .195 TO BOTH ATTACK AND DEFENSE
    (I've gotten a lot of questions in regards to how Divine Smash and Dual Swords calculates damage, so I'll put what I found out at the top of this guide.)

Class Overview

The soldier class was made so you can hide behind a huge health pool in Colosseum as an archer or a mage. Just kidding. The soldier is a very beefy class. Unlike other classes, the Soldier benefits most from focusing on armor, and has the role of absorbing/mitigating most of the incoming damage. The soldier does not specialize in DPS (although it is very possible with some of the tier 4 abilities) and should leave this to the other classes, in exchange for keeping them alive. Defensive stats are a big thing for a soldier, but there are also some fill in abilities in case you lack that bulk, which introduces different skill sets depending on your stats. how fun!

Pros of Soldier

+ Highest health pool in the game. very difficult to kill.
    + Extreme defense numbers provide huge resistance to common low AP moves such as lethal strikes.
    + Allows DPS classes to focus more on damage, instead of worrying if they will get focused and die to RNG.
    + Starts with more cost than other classes.
    + Has skills that scale off of defense, the tankier they get, the more powerful they get.
    + Can auto mode proficiency farm without fear of dying (fufufu)
    + Many different builds to fit in your play style.

Cons of Soldier

- D̶e̶p̶e̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶d̶a̶m̶a̶g̶e
    - Constant aggro focus will cause your adjacent allies to suffer a lot of splash damage.
    - your formation matters, and random quests will give random placement.
    - pesky mages and their hot rocks.
    - Most Expensive class to gear (whalecall)

Class Abilities

Smashes (Smash, Hard Smash, Fateful Smash, and Divine smash)

These abilities are good for maintaining single-target aggro (keeping a single enemy focused on attacking you). The threat generated increases the stronger the smash is, and is further boosted by Heart of the Sword/Soldier procs. It is also worth noting that Divine Smash has a pretty decent chance to blind non bosses.

Clashes (Sword Clash, Brave Clash, Deadly Clash, and Vanquish)

A very special, very underrated, very weapon dependent skill of the soldier. Clashes do low damage for an average amount of cost, and reduce the opponents attack by 10%. However, procs from Heart of the Blade/Soldier will also further increase the attack reduction to the opponent. XL procs will reduce the targets attack by an extra 40% each activation! A double proc would instantly reduce the targets attack to -80%. How does that sound lancers? And of course, vanquish follows clash in its use with procs, but also affects M. atk.

Body-guarding (Knight's Devotion, Knight's Loyalty)

Amazing tank abilities, as they allow you to intercept damage dealt to your party members. The formula for intercepting damage, however, is very wonky, and doesn't even account the soldiers defense into the equation (A-Team buff pl0x). If not careful or just plain unlucky, it might just be your undoing when you intercept a double procced lethal strike that would of otherwise only scratched you.

Heaven's Breath

What's better than having the highest health pool in the game? Further increasing it of course. being able to break 100k in quests, 200k in GvG, and 400k in Colosseum is just great. It makes you absolutely impossible to oneshot, and makes you a giant health tank for Body-guarding. (note that the bonus hp caps at 100%, so sorry to those thinking of using both Heaven's Breath and Life Up). keep in mind, although the cap is 100%, any overflow will overwrite missing health, acting as if it were a heal.

Charisma

A very interesting alternative (or partner) to Cheer. at the expense of 5 extra cost and a 15 second longer cooldown, Charisma gives all your allies a chance to completely nullify damage dealt to them. All of you that are drooling over the nullify magic damage armor, well, that's what Charisma is also accomplishing.

Devoted Strike

This ability is perfect for maintaining aggro of multiple enemies. Although the AP is so low that you will usually see it hit for 1, the aggro on this move is boosted way beyond any of the smash attacks BECAUSE AoE ATTACKS GENERATE MORE AGGRO AS OF UPDATE 5/28. The added blind chance is ignorable, as almost all enemies have enough resistance to make the chances of blind 0.

Mirror Guard

Do you feel like your defenses aren't quite high enough to tank? well that is what mirror guard is for. A constant 30% damage mitigation versus any attack with a little added damage dealt to your attackers makes this a perfect fill in ability for those of you not quite carrying enough bulk. Also noted, that a Heart of the Soldier proc raises the 30% reflect to a whopping 70%.

Sacred Hand

Maybe in the future, but as of now it is not very needed. The stat cleanse will probably be very helpful in raid, but since healing scales on the paladins 2 worst stats, it barely heals anything at all and should be reworked to heal depending on the paladins defenses (A-Team pl0x*2) The only real way to kill a super tanky soldier is to reduce his defenses, and this skill purges stat reductions so it has been found to be useful

Recommended Move-set

For AFK proficiency farming, Devoted Strike, Sacred Hand, Heaven's Breath, and Mirror Guard will both make you invincible and be generous to those who join in, since you will be generating aggro from all the mobs and be providing healing to adjacent allies who don't enjoy the splash damage.

For GvG I recommend the following;

Tank: Cheer, Charisma, Knights Loyalty/Guard, Vanquish. / Ether Exchange, Knights Loyalty, Charisma, Guard/Heaven's
    Burst: Dont play this in GvG is my real recommendation Divine Smash, Dual Sword, Charisma, Cheer / Dual Sword, Divine Smash, Ether Exchange, Charisma

For Tank, you want to focus on keeping allies alive while severely cutting the opponents damage potential with your clashes.
    For Burst, you want to ("not be a paladin") be able to severely damage or kill archers with Divine Smash/Dual Sword, while also supplying more than usual unison gauge with the ability to use both Cheer and Charisma.

For Colosseum I recommend the following;

Tank: Heaven's Breath, Sword Clash, Vanquish, Divine Smash / Knight's Loyalty/Devotion, Heaven's Breath, Charisma, Vanquish
    Burst: Dual sword, Divine Smash, Guard, Charisma / Dual sword, Divine Smash, Heaven's Breath, Knight's Devotion.

For tank, you want to focus on keeping allies alive while severely cutting the opponents damage potential with your clashes, as well as having an opportunity to be a massive threat when buffed after unison, so even if your allies lose the unison and die, you can be the solo killing machine getting your revenge (I have been the last man standing after a 5 apollo unison and buffed myself with water valk and solo killed all 5 of the enemies on my own like a raid boss. GG 3k BP)
    For Burst, you want to focus on constantly sending out Divine Smashes with chance to blind opponents and use Dual Sword for the kill, while also bringing survival utility like Charisma and Knight's Devotion.

Recommended Build

The gear cost distribution for soldier is more similar to cleric or lancer, but ALL OF YOUR DPS SPECS WILL SUFFER. There is mainly two different builds you can follow; the Tank, or the Burst. To be an efficient Tank, you want to max armor and helm, and put the rest of the points in monster, ignoring weapons (although not useless). To be a Burst, you want to focus on weapon for procs and pet for fire monsters, and dump the rest of your cost into armor to maximize defense. Examples for each.

Tank (as of lv 105 cost)
    Weapon: 2/4
    Helmet: 6
    Armor: 6
    Monster: 4/6

Burst
    Weapon: 6
    Helmet:4/5
    Armor: 4/5
    Monster: 4/5/6

One huge benefit to tanks is their amount of procs. If you've played archer with 6 weapons and you think the ability procs, well tanks have double the amount of procs! Do you hate it when you're going for a kill and a DPS with 4 to 6 armor procs gets saved by a reflect XL? well you're in for a nightmare versus 12. If you managed to grab some sci-fi gear, they are absolutely un-replaceable. you want a lot of magic defense procs for those pesky mages who think you're just another easy snack, so if you are going full physical focused armor, you may want some of your helms to be magic focused (I say helm because they get a smaller bonus to defense than armor does.) As for weapons, for a tank you want defensive weapon procs that go with your current skills, such as the boost to Heaven's Breath, Mirror Guard, and Sword Clash (explained in the skill section why clash is useful). For Burst builds, you want to focus on getting as much physical testament and fatal swords as you can (while we don't have access to the procs for dual sword). Cost recovery is also beneficial to dual sword, since its used at a 10 second cooldown with 18 energy cost, you can run out of cost very fast.

For some more technical things to look into, here are some other threads with points to keep note on;

EFFECT OF DEFENSE http://forum.a-tm.co.jp/forum/unison-league/general-aa/16833-the-effect-of-defensive-stats
    CHANCE ON SKILL PROC http://forum.a-tm.co.jp/forum/unison-league/general-aa/17190-chance-to-proc-with-heart-of-the-x-and-testaments
    (You thought you could click on those URL because they were blue like links, but it was me, Dio!)

That's about it. A thank you to Cobalt for letting me use his guide formatting because I'm too lazy to not have a pre-structure.
    Last edited by vzReo; 05-20-2016, 11:29 AM.

Excellent guide for paladins, well structured even if copied xD.

You can add about heavens breath the cap is easy to reach :

Heavens breath (Skill) : 60%.
    Life up Boost (Class Trait) : 15%.
    UR weapon with Heart of Vitality XL : 25%.

Weapons : Blade of Wentos (UR, Wind), Legendary Anchor (UR, Neutral)

I don't know about Hero's Axe effect as i dont have this weapon.

People without the proc or the class will stack the effect after the 60s CD but with some luck a paladin easily reaches the cap.

And we have a proc raising the Mirror Guard effect other than Hero's Axe.

Weapon : Axe of Lux (UR, Light)
    Heart of Reflection XL : Mirror Guard effect +25% (edit after clooxe's correction)

Theres still the interrogation about if the Hero's Axe can enhance Divine Smash damages (Sword of Ajero's proc)
    Last edited by Cladfire; 10-01-2015, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• clooxe
      clooxe commented
      Editing a comment
      Mirror guard: 30%
      Heart of reflect: +25% (5 stacks if this procs, 8 stacks if you have 2 of these proc)
      Heart of the soldier: +40% (7 stacks if this procs)

http://forum.a-tm.co.jp/forum/unison...e-class-skills

• Cladfire
      Cladfire commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, thanks for the correction. Thats economic in memory but sad to not see an indication of X5% in buffs/debuffs.

If i follow the calculation, we can have a full reflect. Is reflect capped to 100%?

I edit the previous post.

Stickies for all the great 101 threads!

Signature image courtesy ekichou.

Comment

Originally posted by Ateam Admin View Post
      Stickies for all the great 101 threads!
      WOOOOOOO

Comment

Great guide for those who want a general overview on how to build a soldier
        I hope tanks finally get to show their awesomeness with the new raids
        #Deception Rank B-36 | C-74
        D.Bone 2036589916 | D.Bree 2116775040

Comment

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          confirmed that we indeed have xP

and u said you will write one next year >
        also if your able
        to equip
        5/5/5/5 in all slots, youd be pre dam strong like me c:

Comment

• CarmineCoffee
          CarmineCoffee commented
          Editing a comment
          Won't you crush some potatoes for me Tuna?

• Flamingiceberg
          Flamingiceberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I am impressed because...?

Guest commented
          Editing a comment
          who r u

I noticed something good about divine smash yiu can add Reo.

If you have Sword of Ajero and he procs and the blinding effect is successful, the blind debuff is tripled. I dont know if the triple blinding happened 100% times when conditions are fullfilled. Sure thats not doing 3 hits.

Comment

Interesting. Too bad blind won't work on actual bosses but it is better than nothing. Thry seemed to have stealth buffed aggro generated by divine smash so that's good

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol, the raids have over 200 resistance so even lilith can't open it up

• Cladfire
            Cladfire commented
            Editing a comment
            Truthful about Argo, less for the others. Event boss are blindable.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            its great in colo tho if it works like that huehue

I have a question about mirror guard. Would it be good to use it with Knights loyalty? If you Knights loyalty and mirror guard and an enemy uses a splash attack, would he take even more damage then he dished out and melt himself? Also, do Knights devotion and loyalty stack? Sorry it's all a bit overwhelming to me lol.
          How we look recruiting before RGB

Comment

• Nemurerumori
            Nemurerumori commented
            Editing a comment
            Try to view damage in two ways. Direct and Indirect. Mirror Guard does not reduce indirect damage.

Direct: Typical offensive abilities that target you. This applies to adjacent attacks, too. Pierce, Meteor Rain, and Lethal Strikes can be reflected.

Indirect: Attacks that don't exactly target you and harm you through unusual effects. Unison attacks (no reflect target), Loyalty/Devotion damage sponging, Break Thrust, and poison damage cannot be reflected by Mirror Guard.

• Gillroyale
            Gillroyale commented
            Editing a comment
            That's sad. Would be ridiculous if it worked . I saw something potentially op and I had to ask lol. I was sure it had been tested.

You didn't answer my other question though. Do Knights devotion and loyalty stack? For instance if you use kd on an ally next to you then use kl will he be even more protected and you absorb more of the dmg? I know it's kinda irrelevant but I must know.

Edit: another crazy thought just fluttered through my mind. What would happen if you had mirror guard and were confused. Then you use cheer and it turned into confused attack and smacked yourself? x.X LOL
          Last edited by Gillroyale; 10-13-2015, 07:01 PM.
          How we look recruiting before RGB

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            % reductions are stacked multiplicitively. example, guard reduces by 50% and knights loyalty 50%. i have no idea what happens first, but it would reduce damage by half after formula for one of them, and them multiply THAT damage by half. so 2 50s is 75% reduction. 3 50s is 87.5%, etc.

as for confusion reflection, thats indirect as well
            Last edited by vzReo; 10-14-2015, 03:45 PM.

Wow... Looking at the divinesmash and dual sword formula makes me wonder why the soldier class gets soooo much hate from the devs. Reallocating the distribution of the powercalc rather than giving it some boost from defense actually makes the skills potentially worse than the basic level smashes. Sadness. Thanks for the info. I hate game.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            why? High defense is much easier to reach than high atk. If it was scaled fully on defense it would be the strongest non proc hit in the game. It needs some attack scaling
            Last edited by vzReo; 10-30-2015, 10:04 AM.

I'm not quite sure why a lot of you are satisfied at all with how Paladin is presented atm. Flawed dmg formula, sad excuse of a Devoted Strike, and 4th ring skills that don't serve their functions well.

Considering how un-viable stacking defense is for mitigating dmg, most people allocate less cost for helm and armor. If you want to do well as a Paladin then you're forced to gimp your multi-class robusticity, because Paladin passives optimize in the complete opposite direction of all other 4 classes,

Sure the ultimate paladin may have a bit higher stat maximums but isn't that the trade off for being able to optimize for only 1 class across the entire game? The current formula for Paladin skills shows Ateam isn't willing to allow this tradeoff to be well balanced. Knowing that, Paladin spec. builds are actually double penalized by both limiting their class optimizations AND accepting a poor dmg formula for their final skills.

Comment

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            Flamingiceberg because we can do a lot of damage with a stat that also reduces the damage we take. also we can redirect aggro towards us so all the 1 person and 3 person hits are focused on the paladin. if you're top or bottom screen those 3 person hits become 2 person hits. and almost every 5 person AoE in the game is magical. if you put a paladin in a corner and a lancer with good defenses underneath him, then your other 3 allies only need to have magic defense, no defense needed really. And there are a lot of events that use mirror guard and force the ally team to sustain hits till it runs out. remember 45 apollo wave 2? with paladin i could just devoted strike and afk

• Flamingiceberg
            Flamingiceberg commented
            Editing a comment
            vzReo The problem with your line of thinking is we paladins DON'T do a lot of damage. When anyone thinks of a lot of dmg being thrown out, the numbers thrown up by a mage or archer far exceeds that of a Soldier. Lancers don't have as hit of a maximum but they still can do plenty better than any Paladin builds.

70,035atk * 0.39 = 27,313.53 -Lancer
            (51,500atk * 0.16) + (83,000def * 0.23) = 27,330 -Soldier

Does this look familiar? Good luck getting close to a fair comparison of "a lot of dmg" when the odds are so stacked against Soldiers. At best, Soldiers are only borderline competitive.

There's not much redirecting agro either, you're really just sharing some dmg. Lol no defense needed? Underscoring their own def's will only lead to the dmg shared being a whole lot higher than they should. That cuts down your EHP harder than you're imagining.

Apollo wave2? Last I remember, everyone just bursts stuff down to oblivion before reflects can trigger for that event. That even was such a breeze, I actually felt comfortable doing PUG 40+, compared to Avsaris/Nyx events.
            Last edited by Flamingiceberg; 11-03-2015, 08:31 PM.

Guest commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know what you're trying to say. Are you a paladin yourself? Because how you speak of them shows you don't actually know how to play one. If you hate it so much and it's too hard to understand for you, then.... don't play one. If you aren't a paladin and you are pulling this info from your butt, where you think you can just assume from watching people play how paladin are, then kindly walk away and let people with experience talk

The highest defense in the game right now is about 82k. if dual sword had 100% scaling on defense.. oh god please help

Comment

• Flamingiceberg
            Flamingiceberg commented
            Editing a comment
            I was saying hypothetically, if you had 83k def, this would be the case. And whats the point of tanking if this game doesn't really let that mechanic have real practical use? Every event thus far never needed a tank involved. Cool, so you can probably get 80k/40k def. What's your role now, outside of operating as a massive hp battery for 2 of the 4 allies in a quest?

• Ace
            Ace commented
            Editing a comment
            @Flamingiceberg:

The OP part of Generals is that the better they tank, the more damage they do with DS. Tanking and Damage dealing are not mutually exclusive to the Soldier. Obviously, they will leave some cost room for procs, but no other class shares this unique capability to use defense as offense.

• Tesuna
            Tesuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Flamingiceberg Bro, Tanking is possible in this game. You probably have not seen a good tanker with good item/skill choices. You'd be surprise how useful they are in a premade party.

I assume you are use to the typical 4glass cannon +1 healer and rely on the fire bird and other buffs to keep yourself alive and also putting a lot of strain on the healer if he/she have to heal everyone if the monsters target every members in a random order.

Fujin already pointed this out, if you put a soldier that knows what his doing in a corner + a person who can take more hits than the others in the party, it reduces adjacent attacks from hitting 3 people to 2 people.

For me, I developed a mirror gaurd/devoted strike build that fits with my cost allocations and stat. I have high defense but low mdefense because I'm going for a dps general. Even with my low mdef, i can easily fix that problem with mirror guard which takes 30% off the damage from me and if its magic damage it deals a bunch of damage back to the monster/player hitting me. Then I have the guild rank axe + 3 photon axe to proc with my mirror gaurd.

So pretty much in hard event quest like 45+, I devoted strike as soon the wave start while constantly having mirror guard at all times. With the weapons, they can proc and give me a totall of 5-9 stacks of reflect which makes me unkillable.

You may think this is impractical but it works.
            I can do other things while tanking since I only need 2 abilities to keep up at all times. I have 2 slots for any ability of my choice. I either take mass refresh/balancing to give my members more options eg: give the healer to carry all heals and archer all damage. I also bring divine smash to contribute in some damage. You will most likely be max buffed most of the time so divine smash will hit a ton. at max buff my divine smash hits 60-70k and since i only use mirror guard and devoted strike once at the start of the round, i have spare cost to attack.
            You are only useless if you have no monsters that is beneficial to the team or you bring abilities that do not contribute to the team in any way.

Mirror Guard and Devoted strike is underrated. I ran this build with people in 45ap runs and they had no problem with it. They questioned it at first but when they saw it in action they can't deny the results.

I read most of your comments flaming, I agree that cost allocation plays a big role in being able to switch classes. With careful cost allocation planing, you can be a good soldier and have the potential to swap other classes.
            I'm going to run 5/3/5/6 at level 95 which will give me additional attack/defense i want for my soldier build. But look at the weapon/monsters. Since im able to wear 5UR weps and 6UR monsters, i can simply swap them out with different types to become a new class. i can be a archer with 5weps/6monsters which is only 1 weapon off from the common dps glasscannon builds which can apply to lancers and mages. I can be a healer by changing my swords to books/relics and monsters to light/dark.

There are not a lot of people with my setup. I can be dps or tank or even both at the same time if i wish to. You can be anything you want to be in this game. It all depends on your playstyle and preferences.

Originally posted by Cladfire View Post
          Excellent guide for paladins, well structured even if copied xD.

You can add about heavens breath the cap is easy to reach :

Heavens breath (Skill) : 60%.
          Life up Boost (Class Trait) : 15%.
          UR weapon with Heart of Vitality XL : 25%.

Weapons : Blade of Wentos (UR, Wind), Legendary Anchor (UR, Neutral)

I don't know about Hero's Axe effect as i dont have this weapon.

People without the proc or the class will stack the effect after the 60s CD but with some luck a paladin easily reaches the cap.

And we have a proc raising the Mirror Guard effect other than Hero's Axe.

Weapon : Axe of Lux (UR, Light)
          Heart of Reflection XL : Mirror Guard effect +25% (edit after clooxe's correction)

Theres still the interrogation about if the Hero's Axe can enhance Divine Smash damages (Sword of Ajero's proc)
          I noticed when my Heart of Reflection L axe skill procs it adds 5 stacks. So if I upgrade it to UR it will probably have the Heart of Reflection XL skill. I guess my question is,
          if the Heart of Reflection XL skill procs, will it add 7 stacks just as my Hero's Axe skill does when it procs?

Edit: I'm just a little thrown off by Clooxe's comment under Cladfire's comment. I probably should've just posted under his comment; apologies!
          Last edited by Valk; 10-22-2015, 04:23 AM.

Comment

with 2 weapons and full armors and monsters, that sound like a pretty sad build for quest

for me, im still sticking to a hybrid 55k 55k general while being able to play lancer, mage and archer
            Last edited by boltthecat; 10-27-2015, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• Nippon
              Nippon commented
              Editing a comment
              I mean it's called Dual Sword for a reason huehuehue

• boltthecat
              boltthecat commented
              Editing a comment
              hahahahahahaa. i didnt think of that
          Working...
          X