Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirabelle
    commented on 's reply
    Cthulhu Interesting set, but I think it's closer to a Tank than an Offtank. I think it's best when Offtanks do not run any Hate-causing moves, so that they don't accidentally draw attacks away from a Tank in the same quest.

I also think it's best that Tanks run both Antagonize and Battleshout, so that you can draw attacks away from burst soldiers that bring one Hate move. It also helps to be able to use both abilities to keep Hate up even when Balanced or dealing with buff decay from the quest wave transitions.

At any rate, for an Offtank set I think you're better off swapping Battleshout for Ether Exchange, Divine Smash, or Sword Clash (if you have procs for it). If you plan to use Swift Smash a lot then you may need EE.

• Cthulhu
    replied
    Question would Battleshout, Vanquish, Cheer, party support (like MR) and the smash basic atk replacement work well for a solider Off tank base?

Leave a comment:

• nowayOUT
    commented on 's reply
    I did mean Dual Impact. Thanks!

I am a Cleric main and only use Soldier when I run Curious Defender or other simple quests. For harder quests I run as Cleric .

• Mirabelle
    commented on 's reply
    nowayOUT Do you mean Dual Impact or Divine Smash?

If so, use Divine Smash. Dual Impact only scales off of ATK, and your DEF is much higher than your ATK.

If you meant Dual Sword... then both! Dual Sword and Divine Smash are 2/3 of the best burst moves for your stats. A standard Burst set for your stats usually looks like EE, Dual Sword, Divine Smash, Antagonize.

I encourage you to try non-burst sets, though! :3

• nowayOUT
    replied
    Mirabelle - should I use Dual Sword or Divine Smash for my burst set? My attack is at 50k and def is at 92k.

Leave a comment:

• Mirabelle
    commented on 's reply
    SpazPro Oh wow I didn't know Trip was 5 cost. That's fantastic. Thanks for the info!

I'm actually not particularly impressed with Swift Smash for PvE, since it doesn't have any additional effects. I would much rather have the extra cost and aggro from using Intrepid. Though it makes sense if you're running a Burst soldier build with high DEF. (So I think it's better for PvP)

• SpazPro
    commented on 's reply
    Mirabelle
    It stacks up to two times, and will stay that way for the most part if you spam it as soon as it goes off of cooldown. The buff is 20 seconds, and the CD is 10. It paires great with other debuffs. It has great CE. 100 AP, 10 CD, and 5 cost. Though you will want a lancer build if you want to do significant damage with it tho. Even without alot of atk, the debuff is still worth using.

I would also mention Swift Smash If i were you. Not because I love smash or anything, but because it has the same CE and DPS as basic attack, but scales off of deff. Making it very viable for a tank soldier.

• Mirabelle
    commented on 's reply
    SpazPro The only one I mentioned was Intrepid, because you don't need to have gem spawn luck to get that. ;3 (I'd like to keep only the essentials in the main posts so the guide stays as short as possible.)

But, Trip probably deserves a special mention for PvE, at least in these subsequent posts, because slowing down a boss should be really good! It can stack up to twice if you keep using it, right?

• SpazPro
    replied
    Is there a section for Special abilities? If not, then I can help test with Trip and Xmas BonBon, if you want to write one.

Leave a comment:

• Mirabelle
    commented on 's reply
    HotMessExpress For the most part, I agree. EE usage usually isn't that much extra pressure until the boss fight. And even then, it's *usually* not adding significant pressure. However, I think it becomes a much bigger deal against a boss like Yamato Takeru in Arcadia. (Non-stop attacks, big damage, straining heal cooldowns to the limit x3)

• HotMessExpress
    replied
    I wouldn't worry about ether exchange. If you're feeling conservative just wait for somebody near you to fire it off. The only time it's annoying is when people stagger it several seconds apart.

As cleric my only concern with EE is somebody getting shotted immediately after, which really only happens on the boss. If you've got 7 mirrors on then that's nearly impossible, so even during a boss you should be fine unless they've got a lethal % attack

Leave a comment:

• Mirabelle
    replied
    Just a minor interesting thing that I'm not going to bother putting into the main post - I've recently had some success with a Hybrid Tank-Offtank set since I acquired both RGB 1.0 and 2.0 Swords.

The set looks like this:
    Main Weapon Slot: Secret of the Sword XL
    Sub Weapon Slots: Heart of the Soldier XL, Heart of the Blade XL, Heart of Reflection XL, 3x Physical Testament XL
    Abilities: Ether Exchange, Mirror Guard, Antagonize, Sword Clash

7/4/4/7 - Mostly Def Gear, 7 Fire Monsters - Joan, Jack, Rena, Nidhogg, Apollo, Apollo, Ifrit
    I have just under 80k for both ATK and DEF with zero infusions or plusses and no Executioner ATK passive. (All of my infusions and plusses go to Mage/Archer gear x3)

Anyway, this setup gives me 3 possible Mirror Guard procs and 3 possible Sword Clash procs. So I can effectively use both Mirror Guard and Sword Clash with high chances to get extra reflection stacks and extra debuff stacks. I would use Vanquish instead of Sword Clash if I had more procs for it, but I don't. >u<

Secret of the Sword XL and Heart of the Soldier XL both give +4 reflection stacks for a total of 7. Heart of Refection XL only adds +2 reflection stacks.
    So, the possible proc combinations are:
    Secret + Soldier = 100% reflection
    Secret + Heart of Reflection = 90% reflection
    Soldier + Heart of Reflection = 90% reflection
    Secret = 70% reflection
    Soldier = 70% reflection
    Heart of Reflection = 50% reflection
    Nothing = 30% reflection

And some of these activate very often! I haven't tested the rates, but it's fairly reliable. The Sword Clash procs have been very reliable as well.

So this set still forces all enemies to target me with Antagonize, applies heavy ATK debuffs, and very often takes tons of pressure off the Cleric with 70%+ reflection.
    Pros:
    -Does a little bit of everything! Deals damage, draws aggro, huge damage reduction, debuffs enemies.
    Cons:
    -Still uses Ether Exchange, putting more pressure on the Cleric than a true Tank build
    -No room on the set for a Party-Support ability.
    -Doesn't debuff as hard as a true Offtank build with equivalent procs.
    -Only one Hate effect, so can't compete for aggro especially well, and a party-balance effect could be dangerous
    Last edited by Mirabelle; 11-30-2016, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    This thread is the most beautiful thread, if I could like it twice I would.

Better than the last soldier guide

Leave a comment:

• Okayama
    commented on 's reply
    Yay thanks!

• Ateam Admin
    commented on 's reply
    I somehow missed it!
    Sticked
Working...
X