Should We Revamp Old Abilities Along w\ 6th Ring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should We Revamp Old Abilities Along w\ 6th Ring

By the looks of the abilities in 6th ring, I believe it is unquestionable that this game will experience an incredible change skill sets. What concerns me personally is that it appears that nearly all of 4th ring, 5th ring, and TOJ abilities will become obsolete almost immediately. I think this is an issue. I find the balance between 4th ring, 5th ring, and TOJ abilities to be a healthy dynamic of this game.

That being said, I believe it would be a good idea to consider possible ways to retune some of these abilities. Specifically, I would consider some TOJ abilities to be in need of revamping, specifically (and this is biased on my part) the soldier's abilities. [On a side note, is Heroic Spirit even a functional ability?]

I haven't thought of any revamps myself, but was more so wondering if anyone shared this fear. I'm still relatively new to the game and pretty casual, so its entirely possible that I am looking at the balance all wrong.

Also, I know that a vast majority of players will probably not be getting access to these rings for a while, but I do not consider this a good counter-argument.

When we get a new ring they do usually adjust some of the older abilities, but otherwise, this is the usual cycle. Older abilities becoming outdated is what motivates people to get stronger (spend time/money) on this game. Any sort of 'balance' here tends to be either relatively short-lived or rather drastically altered with the arrival of a new ring, but this is mostly kind of change that helps keep up the interest for those of us who have been around a while.
    IGN: Dux • Orionoiro
    UL ID: 2127860702
    Soldier/Mage
    Come quest with me!

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeSymptoms View Post
      What concerns me personally is that it appears that nearly all of 4th ring, 5th ring, and TOJ abilities will become obsolete almost immediately. I think this is an issue. I find the balance between 4th ring, 5th ring, and TOJ abilities to be a healthy dynamic of this game.
      I'm not seeing where Rage Slash, Break Thrust, Starburst, Ominous Omen, Aid, Arc Heal, (and honestly a lot more that would make this post longer) become obsolete almost immediately when 6th ring comes out. These skills are good commonly used skills that will most likely withstand the impending new ring until they release something clearly better than them.

The new piercer skills for archer and soldier aren't that great anyways since they only ignore nulls but still get stopped by reflects and barriers. Not everything gets tossed to the side when something new comes out.

You should honestly just wait for when the new rings come to global before making any wild claims. Things tend to be different in actual use than on paper. At best, all a new ring will do is offer players more ways to play their class.

Comment

• StrangeSymptoms
        StrangeSymptoms commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Saturn View Post
        The new piercer skills for archer and soldier aren't that great anyways since they only ignore nulls but still get stopped by reflects and barriers. Not everything gets tossed to the side when something new comes out.
        I didn't know this was the case, I thought the piercing moves went through everything (lowkey glad to know this isn't the case).

I hope you're right about this. Personally, I feel that moves like Inspired Sword and Heroic Spirit will stop seeing play (they already see so little, and this is where my bias comes out). Like I said, I'm relatively new, so this insanely high ability power numbers (most of which come with utility) really seem on a completely different level than the best of 5th ring.

• Bryan_the_guy
        Bryan_the_guy commented
        Editing a comment
        Break thrust will be replace with riot break (1-3 attack with 150AP.)

Ominous omen will be useless in GB when soldiers can nullify unison decreases to themselves and other allies.

extended unison will not be that useful since lancer's can negate all extend unisons.

(Essentially making negative pressure and miserable burst viable of there's 2 people who can use it.)

Arc heal may be replaced with greater arc heal depending on the situation.

• Saturn
        Saturn commented
        Editing a comment
        Bryan_the_guy Break Thrust will still be superior since at full enchantment it's 170 AP and doesn't have a chance to miss like Riot Break does. The fact that the success rate for RB is 80% on top of being an attack that can hit 1-3 times makes it not as good as it could be. You're more likely to hit once, assuming you don't miss.

Ominous Omen still will be just as powerful depending on if this ability is even used once it comes to global. Besides, this skill you are talking about is one that affects a fixed adjacent to the user; it's avoidable so long as you don't hit in the area (again, assuming it's even used).

Never mentioned Extended Unison in my OP, but even now it's not as common as it could be, with the currently common variant of uni down being OO. Besides, the lancer skill you are referring to nullifies unison gauge gain boosts. Extended Unison is more of a limit break skill compared to something like Treasure Hunt which this skill affects.

Miserable Burst only becomes viable in the sense that you're probably referring to it as when you use it after Concentrate. I highly doubt any decent mage will make use of Concentrate with this skill when Starburst + OO is a much better combination.

Arc Heal will still remain supreme in PvP as you don't need to have AoE heals there. In PvE, it'll still be used and probably alongside Greater Arc Heal. A single target heal like that doesn't get replaced that easily. In fact, the only things potentially affected by Greater Arc Heal's existence would most likely be Cleanse Heal and Area Recovery.

Gonna talk about how most of the currently relevant Soldier 5th ring and ToJ abilities will not be useless.

Inspired Sword -> Gives uni gauge to ALL other allies, and so will never truly be replaced, especially not in GB Frontlines. It will still see much use there.
      Pride -> See above.
      Heroic Spirit -> The only one I slightly agree with, since debuffs are uncommon because of Hero being the best way of just plowing through quests.

Antagonize -> Already replaced. Was always trash, was slightly less trash because of the ability changes some months ago, but is now back to trash because of Dual Sword Enchantment.
      Dual Impact -> Already replaced. Trash outside of PvP. Also trash in PvP if you have Heroic Drive.
      Counter -> Phenomenal ability in Colosseum/Duel and ToJ.
      Rage Slash -> Ice Slash or whatever does not ignore barrier or reflection, so Rage Slash and (Serial Flash) procs will not be powercreeped. They will still be used.
      BattleShout -> Self-purify, 30% hp, 30% atk, 20cd. Amazing Colosseum/Duel ability.

Comment

Working...
      X